Sponsor: Mann-Grandstaff Veterans Administration Medical Center, Spokane, Washington
Mission: The Mann-Grandstaff Veterans Affairs Medical Center, with Pacific University College of Optometry of Forest Grove, OR, and Spokane Eye Clinic of Spokane, WA, have developed a one-year residency program in optometry. The fundamental mission of this training program is to provide qualified post-doctorate practitioners with a structured educational experience that will expand their development into exceptional optometric clinicians in the areas of primary care, geriatrics, ocular disease, surgical co-management and contact lenses. Upon completion of the residency, the clinician will emerge with enhanced clinical skills, knowledge and experience which will elevate practitioners beyond entry level practice, making residents suitable candidates for optometry positions in co-management, multidisciplinary settings, and/or post graduate optometric education.
- Strengthen primary care and vision care skills.
- Enhance skills in treating the geriatric population.
- Increase knowledge and skill in co-management of medical-surgical eye conditions.
- Integrate the resident into the pre-operative and post-operative care of cataract surgery.
- Strengthen medical and cosmetic fitting of contact lenses.
- Stimulate an appreciation for scholarly activities and the role of an educator.