Sponsor: Roseburg VA Healthcare System, Roseburg, Oregon
Mission: The Spokane Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC), with Pacific University College of Optometry (PUCO) of Forest Grove, Oregon, and Spokane Eye Clinic of Spokane, Washington, has developed a one-year residency program in optometry. The fundamental mission of this training program is to provide qualified post-doctorate practitioners with a structured educational experience that will expand their development into exceptional optometric clinicians in the areas of primary care, geriatrics, ocular disease, surgical co-management and contact lenses. Upon completion of the residency, the clinician will emerge with enhanced clinical skills, knowledge and experience which will elevate h/her beyond entry level practice, making residents suitable candidates for optometry positions in co-management, multidisciplinary settings, and/or post graduate optometric education.
- Strengthen the Resident’s Primary Care Skills:
- Enhance the Resident’s Skills in Treating the Geriatric Population:
- Increase Knowledge and Skill in Co-management of Medical-Surgical Eye Conditions.
- Increase Knowledge of Cataract Surgery.
- Strengthen the Resident’s Skill in Medical and Cosmetic Fitting of Contact Lenses.
- Stimulate the Resident’s Responsibility for Scholarly Activity.