Mar 02, 2024
The Residency Teacher Licensure (RTL) program is designed for persons teaching under an Oregon Emergency or Restricted Teaching license, current or recent unlicensed teachers teaching in private or charter school settings, instructional/educational assistants assigned to significant work teaching in classrooms, and career changers holding advanced degrees and teaching experience in an area of high need. RTL Residents typically have experience in educational settings, and are required to have support from partner administrators and districts to obtain a license in a needed endorsement area while teaching in a school.
All successful applicants must have substantive experience in educational settings and must show significant involvement in school settings as an aid, volunteer, coach, or through other documented means.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Completed checklist of TSPC character questions
- Three recommendations, including one from an immediate supervisor in an educational or social agency who can attest to the applicant’s competence and enthusiasm to work with school-aged children or youth in volunteer or paid work experiences
- Ability to write clearly and cogently as demonstrated in a 2-3 page essay on an educational issue or topic of the candidate’s choice
RTL Application Process
RTL applicants complete a School of Learning and Teaching RTL application and interview. Successful applicants are admitted under Conditional RTL Teacher Resident status. Conditional RTL Teacher Residents are eligible to enroll in EDUC 681 (Instructional Block 1). Conditional RTL Residents are expected to pursue employment under an Emergency or Restricted teaching license.
RTL Teacher Residency Selection Process
Conditional RTL Residents advance to RTL Teacher Residency status in cooperation with a partner school district, school, or other Local Educational Agency (LEA). RTL Teacher Residency is established when a Conditional RTL Teacher Resident a) becomes employed least half-time as the teacher in a qualifying classroom or other setting, and b) enters into a formal agreement of support with a partner school district, school, or other LEA. RTL Teacher Residents are eligible to enroll in EDUC 681, EDUC 683, EDUC 685, & EDUC 687 (Instructional Blocks 1-4).
RTL Teacher Residency Policy
RTL Teacher Residents are enrolled at least half-time as the teacher in a qualifying classroom or other setting under a formal agreement of support with a partner school district, school, or other LEA. An RTL student leaving RTL Teacher Residency status for any reason may not enroll in, or complete, Instructional Blocks EDUC 683, EDUC 685, & EDUC 687 (Instructional Blocks 2-4). Exceptions to these policies must be approved by the RTL Coordinator and Director.
Residency Teaching Licensure students in the College of Education are held to the policies listed in the School of Learning & Teaching Policies section of this catalog, the College of Education handbook, as well as those immediately below.
- maintain good academic standing
- maintain status as a Conditional RTL Resident (Block 1) or RTL Teacher Resident (Blocks 2-4)
- maintain a 3.00 minimum GPA in all professional education coursework with no grade lower than a C; a C- does not fulfill degree requirements
- pass all required coursework and all tests required for licensure before Block 3