Jun 01, 2020
Additional Admission Requirements
Applications are accepted until November 1 for the Spring semester and until July 1 for the Fall semester.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- TSPC Charcter Questions
- Resume highlighting candidate’s experience with children/youth
- Copy of teaching license
- Official transcript from each college/university attended
- Two recommendations, from administrators/supervisors
- Two-page essay on candidate’s proessional development goals
The selection committee screens the applicant pool. Selection is based on the published minimum requirements for admission and the following criteria: depth and breadth of undergraduate preparation, strength of recommendations, and written communication skills and critical thinking skills as assessed in an essay. Selected applicants are invited for a personal interview and, at that time, may be asked to complete a timed writing sample.
Transfer of credits is considered and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The number of transferrable credits will be determined by the Program Director, although typically not more than 10.
Candidates must complete, within a 6-year period, a minimum of 30 credits in individual planned programs, which include the following. All grades must be C or above; C- will not fulfill degree requirements. Students complete the Foundation Core and have an opportunity to focus in the following areas:
- Endorsements – Reading Intervention, Special Education, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and adding selected single-subject endorsement areas
- Specailizations – Talented and Gifted (see Certificates and Specializations section for more information)
- Certificates – Cultural Competency, Technology and Learning (see Certificates and Specializations section for more information)
- Other – selected coursework based on student professional goals and interests.
Foundation Core (8 credits)
Reading Intervention: 16 Credits
This endorsement qualifies candidates to teach reading to students pre-kindergarten through grade twelve. In addition to coursework and practica, candidates must pass the state-approved reading specialist test, and submit required portfolio, edTPA or case study. Prerequisites include coursework in psychological foundations and basic reading methodology appropriate for the level.
English to Speakers of Other Languages: 15 Credits
Candidates must hold a current Teaching License endorsed for the regular classroom or special education, or be enrolled in a pre-service program leading to a Teaching License endorsed for the regular or special education classroom. Candidates completing all coursework, a practicum experience, and passing the state-approved ESOL test will qualify for a PK-12 ESOL endorsement. All of the below are required:
Reading Intervention and English to Speakers of Other Languages: 27 Credits
This dual endorsement may be obtained simultaneously by completing 27 credits comprising of core courses and practica. Additionally, candidates must pass the state-approved Reading Specialist and ESOL tests, and submit required portfolios, edTPA, or case studies. Candidates must hold a current Teaching License endorsed for the regular classroom or special education, or be enrolled in a pre-service program leading to a Teaching License endorsed for the regular or special education classroom.
Special Education Endorsement
Candidates holding a current Teaching License may enter this 18-month program. It is designed for:
- teachers on a conditional license who are the teacher of record in a special education classroom,
- general educators who would like to become special educators, or
- those with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in teaching who want to obtain their Professional Teaching License.
Candidates must pass the special education test required by TSPC. All of the below are required.
The capstone experience is a thesis, giving candidates an opportunity to synthesize professional education in the clinical setting. All Master of Education candidates will be appointed an Advisor who will guide the development, implementation and presentation of a research project.